Tuesday 16 January 2007

SVN and Trac

Since Vista has put an end to me using the Cisco VPN for now, I can't get access to Source Safe in the office for checking source code in and out from my main development machine.

The project I'm working on at the moment does really need checking into the master source safe database for now until I've finished working on it - so it's given me an opportunity to try out some other source control systems.

Dave Griffiths [http://www.davegriffiths.net/] put me onto a system called Trac which gives a web interface for SVN repositories. I signed up for a developer account on www.svnrepository.com, it costs just under $4 for 500Mb of SVN storage, and they run Trac.

To access the repository from my development machine, I've downloaded TortoiseSVN [http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/] client for windows that allows access to my SVN db from Windows Explorer.

So far I'm impressed with this setup. SVN doesn't need a lock to be gotten (though you could if it was needed) on the file before it can be worked on, and the merging functions are good from what I've seen. Trac also has bug tracking, Wiki, Timeline and Roadmap functionality. I'll be branching out into using these in the next couple of days.

I think SVN works with code generation, code sets are a better way working than labelling. I'm going to try to figure out a way that all this can work that makes sense - Code Generation / Database Deployment / Build Server / Source Control.

Watch this space!